Importance of Public Authorities
Public Authorities (PA) fulfill consumer needs for In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) by creating greater access to care providers. Foundational to this process is maintaining a comprehensive provider registry that connects older adults and people with disabilities with Independent Care Providers (IPs) who can assist them maintain their independence safely in their own homes. This extends the quality of life for many Californians that would otherwise need more costly services in a healthcare facility.
In addition, each county Public Authority is responsible for:
- Investigating the qualifications and background of potential providers
- Establishing a referral system to connect consumers with the appropriate provider
- Providing a variety of skilled training for consumers and providers
- Negotiating provider wages and benefits with the labor unions
- Seeking input from IHSS Advisory Committees and incorporating best practices into the operation of each county’s IHSS program
For more information read the IHSS Wages and Bargaining Brief.